January 16 2019 at 10:06 AM by Samikshya Joshi
Healthy eating is not about grudging oneself or denying ourselves of foods that we love. The right way is to get a balanced diet which contains carbohydrates, proteins, fat, vitamins and minerals in the right proportions. The right diet for good health may vary from person to person.
Importance of well-balanced food
A well-balanced food helps with sustained weight control. Calorie requirements depend on age, physical activity level, and weight goals.
Here are some key benefits of consuming well-balanced food:
• Growth and Development
• Maintains weight
• Improved Energy levels
• Lowers risk of sickness
• Decreases depression and anxiety
• Gives micronutrients, vitamins, and minerals
• Protects you from non-communicable diseases
Components of your food:
1. Carbohydrates- It is a vital source of energy, which comprises about 60% of an individual’s diet. Most of your energy needs are met from carbohydrates. Whole grains-wheat, millets, brown rice etc are the sources of carbohydrate.
2. Protein-Protein is needed to repair body cells and make new ones. During the various stages of life, it is also essential for growth and development. About 25% of daily calories should come from the protein found in pulses. Milk and milk products like paneer, curd, and yoghurt are also a great source of protein. For the non-vegetarians, good sources include eggs, fish and lean meat.
3. Fats- Fats contribute about 15% of daily caloric needs. They are also vital for providing vitamins and synthesize hormones. Some of the good sources of fats for one’s daily diet can come from polyunsaturated fats such as flax seeds, sunflower seed etc., monounsaturated fats such as olive oil, sesame oil etc., and saturated fats such as butter, and ghee.
4. Vitamins and Minerals Micronutrients - vitamins and minerals support metabolism, nerve and muscle function, bone maintenance and cell production. Fruits and vegetables are the major sources of vitamins and minerals including potassium, iron, vitamin A and vitamin C.
5. Water Life without water is inconceivable. A major nutritional component in our body that helps regulate body temperature, lubricate your joints and protects your major organs, and tissues. Water also aids to transport oxygen throughout your body. You should drink at least 2 litres of water every day.
Steps for A Healthier You:
1. Make half your grains whole and complex.
2. Include healthy proteins-milk and milk products, pulses and lean meats.
3. Eat green vegetables and more fruits.
4. Limit the intake of processed foods
5. Eat wisely, watch what you eat.
6. Make a healthy meal plan & fix times to have meals.
7. More important eat only when you feel hungry.
8. Cut down extra salt and sugar in your food.
You should also visit a Nutritionist for a better nutrition plan.
Stay current with our latest insights & offers
Feel free to reach us